Saturday, November 1, 2014

A Story About Life's Valley Places

I seek out and search for stories. The ones hidden deep within a person who thinks they have no value and nothing to offer anyone. Within that person is a story that if unfolded gently and laid out, could mesh with others nicely. In someway, shape or form, the story will touch another's heart or the core of their story. While each story is unique in its own way, the story will have occurrences of distance traveled on the journey, hilltop views of the world according to their eyes at that time and many valleys where there seemed to be no water flowing to cure the thirst of the soul.  For some reason, the story moves from the journey and hilltops and focuses solely on the days, weeks and months in the valley.

Since the valley is usually what we focus on, let's think about it from a different perspective. The time spent there is either the direct result of our own misguided turns or they are the result of a God who decided the valley is the place we needed to be to ensure safety from ourselves, someone else or a situation that could damage our undeveloped spirits. In your valley, what did you see?  Was it hurt, fear, anger, betrayal and loneliness?  Did you walk through the valley to see if there were others who were on the same journey? If not, why? The valley is a place where you tune your ears to hear from an eternal Father who promised He would never leave you or forsake you (Hebrews 13:5).  If that is true, did you focus only on you and missed the purpose for the valley? Did you forget about Psalm 23? If so, read it again and again until the Holy Spirit reveals to your spirit there is nothing too hard for God, because He knows right where you are and is with you. 


I have experienced the greatest victories in battle through a valley experience. I have learned the most about myself and God in the valley. My faith and understanding of God grew the most in the valley. When I had done all I could do, exhausted and tired; I learned to lean on Jesus and allow Him to be all that He said He would be when I needed a Savior. In that place, a Heavenly Father showed up and used something I thought was bad and to build me, grow me and He received all the glory. I could not take credit for the end result and if I did God would not have showed up and turned my mess into a masterpiece that could be used for a story that could ultimately be told to help someone else experiencing their own valley. 

Psalm 23 

 A Psalm of David.
 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
 He leads me beside the still waters.
 He restores my soul;
 He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake.
 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
 I will fear no evil; For You are with me;
 Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
 You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.
 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life;
 And I will dwell in the house of the LORD Forever.  AMEN!