Monday, February 2, 2015

A Cross to Bear

It is impossible to know where someone has been or how they have made it to where they are; unless you are willing to take the time to find out. You have to really connect with a person to really know their "story".  Every story is different, just like the struggles and battles in life. Each of us has a cross and what we do with it determines how we end this life. Scripture tells us we must take up our crosses, deny ourselves and follow Jesus.

Mark 8:34-35 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it."

Luke 9:23-24 Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it."

Matthew 10:38 ... anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

To deny yourself is to give up what you think is for you in order to allow Jesus to grant you all He has for you. In reading the scriptures, you learn that what He has for us is more than we can ask, expect or imagine (Ephesians 3:20).   When you decide to follow Jesus, you must do so without a BUT. You can't say. " I will, BUT what about my family?" "I will, BUT give me a little more time?"  When the Spirit beacons you and you decide the only way is Jesus, there are no BUTS.  Your cross is all of the cares, concerns, mistakes, sins, and struggles. I believe we have to take up our crosses so we can hand it over to Jesus. In return, we take up the yoke of Jesus and our burdens become light (Matthew 11:30). 

There has to be a transfer in order to make the transformation. When we trade in the burdens of this life, we accept a mission and purpose that is far greater than any plan we could plan for ourselves. The yoke of Jesus is easy and it is more rewarding that the burdens the world puts on us. Jesus promises that His plan is good for us, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" (Jeremiah 29:11).  This promise is one I grabbed hold of a long time ago. It took me a while to get to the point where I didn't plan and work through all of the "what ifs"of life. When I finally got it, I prayed and asked God to take my plans and my life and lead me where He wants me to go. When I did this, I felt a weight lift off of my shoulders. I was no longer working towards what I wanted, but waiting on God and where He said I needed to go. Because I believed His plan was blessed and ordained for me, I no longer needed to worry or have a contingency plan. 

My cross had many failures, hurts and disappointments. My cross included struggles, regrets and many seasons of being a lone, with no one but God. When I decided to take up my cross and follow Jesus, I started walking towards Him. Doubt would cause me to turn back and run after what the world said I should do and where I should go. When I failed, I felt the presence of the Lord saying, "I AM here".  I would take up my cross again and start the journey, until I finally decided one day not to turn back. I couldn't turn back because my family wasn't there. I couldn't turn back because I feared I would fail. I decided that fear was a tool of the enemy that kept me looking back on my failures or the people that were left behind.  I had renounced fear and give up to God all the people that stood between me and my journey with Christ.  I decided I would not be the person standing in between them and God, even if it meant they would hit rock bottom. He can do far more than I can do enabling them and He can change anyone, if they are willing. That is more than I can say for me and my abilities. 

Because the work of Christ in me is not finished, I am continuing to let go of new distractions and people that are keeping me from seeing all God has for me. 2014 was the year of completion and rest. 2015 is the year of new beginnings and my prayers will be for a new beginning for all those who are stuck carrying unnecessary burdens and crosses for everyone else. My prayer is for them to transfer that load to Jesus and accept His promise to be redeemed, relieved and recreated unto God for good works. 

Father of Mercy, grant us a fresh revelation of Jesus so we can believe and receive all He has done for us. Help us to know, without a doubt, there is no reason to fear or lose one night of sleep in the storms of life; because we have a high priest who has gone before us.  Help us to forget the situations and places in our lives that did not line up with Your will for us so we can focus intently on where You are taking us.  In Jesus' name I pray, Amen!