Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Moving from Fear, to Faith, to Fellowship

In a struggle to live a Christ-like life, I have found myself searching for way to be more like Him daily.  I see the needy and struggling and I offer help and give freely.  I see my neighbor and want to fellowship, but there seem to be a wall. There seems to be a fear and curiosity of why would anyone offer to help with the kids or cook dinner for us. To me, it feels like something natural. Being raised to understand it takes a village to raise a family, I don't mind that I might have to help my fellow brother in need. Even if the need is "I'm just tired" or "sick and tired".  There is no hidden agenda and my hope and prayers are to confirm this gnawing in my soul to fellowship that I believe God has placed in me.

If Christ went around doing good and healing all those oppressed by the devil, as stated in Acts 10:38; then I want to "go around" doing the same. Why then, do we struggle to let our guard down and ask for help or receive an invitation to fellowship? Why do we always have to think there is something that person wants from us? Which leads me to the question of why, if they do have a want from us, do we feel like we can't say no if it is inappropriate?
The wall is fear.  It is as age-old as many of the other crazy things that people say and do in this world.  I believe it is a tool of the devil to keep man from "fellowshipping". God is about family.  He created the "first family"; upon which we are all descendants and we have allowed time, space and our very own minds to drive wedges in between the one thing God loves most.

If we took time to think about heaven and were honest, it wouldn't be divided or separated the way we are today.  Can you imagine the great fellowship and no one questioning whether the person eating or praising next to them wanted anything? Can you imagine not seeing differences, but understanding all that is most important to the Father?  Fellowship in theory is the condition of sharing similar interests, ideals, or experiences - camaraderie.  Wikipedia explains it this way:
The word fellowship appears 19 times in most editions of the Greek New Testament. In the New American Standard Bible, it is translated “fellowship” 12 times, “sharing” 3 times, and “participation” and “contribution” twice each.  In the New Testament, the basis of communion begins with a joining of Jesus with the community of the faithful. This union is also experienced in practical daily life.  The same bonds that link the individual to Jesus also link him or her with other faithful Christians.  The New Testament letters describe those bonds as so vital and genuine that a deep level of intimacy can be experienced among the members of a local church (and I like to think community also).

The first usage of fellowship or koinonia in the Greek New Testament is found in Acts 2:42-47, where we read a striking description of the common life shared by the early Christian believers in Jerusalem: They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to the communion, to the breaking of bread and to prayer...All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need…They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people.
All of that could be a nice thought if we could first move pass the fear to faith so we can get to fellowship.


<>