Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Tomato Ministry

This is year two of our garden. My husband added a porch and then decided he wanted to add a pergola off the sun room.  Not in the plans and I have to admit I was not happy about the original plan and budget expanding.  All in all, he added raised beds and benches and the garden is a little piece of heaven. I never thought it would look the way it does and I have enjoyed watching things grow, harvesting and pruning.

The harvest has been more than we can eat or handle each year, and this year was no exception.  We both admit that the garden has turned into a ministry in some way.  We grow the food and give it away.  We eat tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, carrots, cantaloupes, etc., but it is way too much for the four of us to eat. So, we give it away.  To our surprise, we will email neighbors and asked them if they want it.  They say yes, but some never show up.  I think it is because they really can't believe its free or feel funny about taking it. 

The fact that someone offers something for free and people don't take it is odd to me.  Nevertheless, we continue to offer or find new patrons for the ministry.  We only offer hospitality and the chance to give as freely as we have received from the Lord. We make no bones about the fact we are Christians, if asked, and  find that people are some how interested in how we can just give so much away.  We also offer to do whatever we can for the neighbors and always tell them to call if they need anything. So far, no takers.  I honestly don't believe they believe we are sincere and we are very sincere.  I believe it is how God is taking us through this lesson of "fellowship" and "being like Christ".

How many times in the bible did Jesus offer bread (the Word / His Body) and water (life through the living water that flows from the Holy Spirit/ His Blood)?  How many times was he rejected?  I have been questioning myself all week and wondering if it's me?  Is there something about me that makes people think I am up to something or I want something from them?  I don't think so and I am driving my husband crazy talking about fellowship.  Society is in such disarray that we can't even be neighbors or friends anymore.  There is no sense of community and I don't understand why tragedy or death has to "brings us together". 

As the tomatoes keep growing, we have to prune the dead leaves and branches. Jesus tells us in John 15:1-8: “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

Heavenly Farther, prune me.  Remove every dead limb in my life that is producing no fruit.  Remove sin from my life, bad habits, wrong influences and replace them with new growth and divine appointments. Prune me, Lord, so that I am more balanced in all that I do for you.  Remove the areas in my life that are weak and take away from what you have called me to do... my ministry.. no matter how large or small.  Prune me, Lord, so that even in areas where I am strong, I may grow new, green and vibrant. Lord, I know that pruning will hurt, but I want to be a branch of yours that bears much fruit.   In Jesus Name, Amen.