Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Man Who Paved the Way - John the Baptist

The most interesting times in my life have been when God moved in a supernatural way.  If I went into much detail, you would probably think I was a freak. God speaks to me and I try to obey.  I would be lying if I said I move immediately on every word.  I don't.  Instead, I follow the teaching of John the Baptist and test the spirits.  I always ask a question related to what God is saying in order to confirm it is actually from Him.  By doing this, I have learned the truth from the lies that Satan tries to deposit in our minds.

1 John 4:1-6 ESV
4 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already. 4 Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 5 They are from the world; therefore they speak from the world, and the world listens to them. 6 We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

To know God hears us and the Holy Spirit in turns speaks to us is an awesome feeling.  Every time you say, "something told me to go that way", think back in your life and try to remember the exact circumstance and how that "something" would have kept you out of trouble.  If you listened to what I call the "small voice inside" and you were indeed lead in the right direction that help you, think "He spoke to me" instead of "something" told me not to do it. God speaks in a lot of different ways and it is hard to stay tuned in when there is so much noise trying to get us to tune God out. 

John the Baptist has always peaked my interest in him as a man with a single mission.  He was considered strange and wasn't the most popular, but he heard the call early in life and obeyed until death.  I have always wondered why didn't Jesus just break him out of jail and let him live until he was 200 in peace.  Why did he have to die at the hands of a jealous, crazy king?  He did exactly as he was told and cleared a path before Jesus announcing the Son of Man and the great deed he would do for us all.  One could question if John would do it all over again.  If he knew he would see his cousin, the Christ, and be killed shortly afterwards, would he walk the miles and baptized the King of Kings? I believe John would.  His only mission in life was to be an evangelist and he accepted the call to duty. He stirred a revival everywhere he went. Oh, to be John.......

Disturb us, Lord, when
We are too well pleased with ourselves,
When our dreams have come true
Because we have dreamed too little,
When we arrived safely
Because we sailed too close to the shore.

Disturb us, Lord, when
With the abundance of things we possess
We have lost our thirst
For the waters of life;
Having fallen in love with life,
We have ceased to dream of eternity
And in our efforts to build a new earth,
We have allowed our vision
Of the new Heaven to dim.Disturb us, Lord, to dare more boldly,
To venture on wider seas
Where storms will show your mastery;
Where losing sight of land,
We shall find the stars.We ask You to push back
The horizons of our hopes;
And to push into the future
In strength, courage, hope, and love.-- Sir Francis Drake (1540 - 1596)