Friday, January 10, 2014

Called

It all started many moons ago. In the South, moons are years that have wasted away or waxed on from one season to the next. Those times were simple and hard, but you hardly knew it hard. The needs were none and the wants were few in the country. Simply hanging out on the porch or walking along the dirt roads after a storm was all it took to put a smile on the little one's faces. At the end of every dirt road was a pear tree or blackberry bush. Simple pleasures and unlike any experience a child would likely be exposed to these days.

From this time and place, one could look back and see all the twists and turns that lead to a life called. To be called is one thing, to actually obey the call is another. The road to obedience is not always accepted or easily recognized when  you are young. Nevertheless, the road to revelation is also the pilgrimage the Lord takes you on to get you divinely lined up with His will, plan and call on your life. To be called of God is to receive an appointment or invitation from Him to serve in a particular way.

When our Lord called His disciples, He did it without irresistible pressure from the outside. The quiet, yet passionate, insistence of His “Follow Me” was spoken to men whose every sense was receptive (Matthew 4:19). If we allow the Holy Spirit to bring us face to face with God, we will hear what Isaiah heard -”the voice of the Lord” as in Isaiah 6:8. Likewise, we will answer "Here I am, Send me".

And no one takes this honor on himself, but he receives it when called by God, just as Aaron was. Hebrews 5:4.
He laid his hands upon him and gave him a charge, as the Lord instructed through Moses.
Numbers 27:23

Heavenly Father, Thank you for choosing me. You are my savior and the one who helps me when I am feeling helpless. In my unbelief, help me to believe and strengthen me to obey your commands all the days of my life. In Jesus Name, Amen.