Thursday, February 27, 2014

Rendered Ineffective and Devoured by Greed

There was a time when churches existed to care for the community. They were situated in communities and hence the term pastoral care was born. In the South, pastoral care meant the pastor spent time during the week caring /counseling a lot people. The pastor was the shepherd of the flock and highly regarded in the community. This type of esteem is not so prevalent these days, because the church is continuing to be rendered ineffective. Pastors are especially guarded or even protected from congregations; especially when you start to think about mega-churches. The enemy continues to have his way in our nation, communities and families. Meanwhile, the church exists to cater to the needs of those who bring in large sums of money for the wrong reason, rather than to seek and save the lost. Instead of attracting the lost, churches in most parts of the nation have become country clubs and dues driven (membership fee) entities led by people who demand their wants and needs are met. Church leadership used to stand on God's Word and not the truth spoken by the highest paying member in the congregation.

In the South, it was customary to say you pay your dues. The word dues is not in the Bible anywhere, but tithing is in the Bible. Tithers give what belongs to God back to God and allows Him to be Lord over whomever receives and disperses the tithes.  Far too many times, people demand "their" money goes to a cause "they" choose. God's Word in Malachi 3:10 say, "Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need". If God's property isn't handled correctly, He will surely rebuke those who lead without integrity and a lack of financial stewardship. Many Christian fail the test of tithing because they want to give, as well as be judge and jury over what really wasn't theirs any way. The book of Malachi is clear regarding why we should tithe.

Despite knowing the truth, we often find many reasons why we can't tithe.  Malachi 3:10-12 is all about robbing God. "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this," says the LORD of hosts, "if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows. "Then I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it will not destroy the fruits of the ground; nor will your vine in the field cast its grapes," says the LORD of hosts. "All the nations will call you blessed, for you shall be a delightful land," says the LORD of hosts".…

With this truth, why wouldn't we want God to rebuke the devourer for us? Why would we rob God knowing that without Him we are nothing and can have nothing?  God is the giver of all good things and having 90% blessed is far better than 100% cursed. Just saying....


Heavenly Father,
Make me a cheerful giver of all my tithes and offerings. I chose to receive all of Your promises and blessings as I am obedient to Your Word. Help me to remember the poor, knowing that I am lending to You and You will repay. Let me give with an attitude of gratitude and worship. I have nothing without You and I will take nothing out of this world with me. Help me to hear the exact amount and to whom to give of my offerings and time. In Jesus' name. Amen.