Friday, October 5, 2012

Travels up Hills and Down to the Valley

There are roads that lead us to our destiny and to disaster.  Depending on the circumstance at the time, we make choices that could lead to either of two outcomes.  The road to our destiny is often long and hard.  I have decided that it is designed that way in order to distract us so we give up. The road to disaster is often familiar and feels easy or filled with much pleasure. It often starts out smooth but could end disastrous. Ultimately, we never reach our destiny if we allow the 3Ds to control us and they are doubt, disbelief and distraction.

As I think about life, I wonder why we are such creatures of comfort? We seek comfort in everything we do.  We want more money so we can be comfortable (or complacent). We seek fame so life will be easier or better for us, since we will be well known.  We want to retire so we will not have responsibility, but comfort. All of that is hard to come by and is hardly comfortable trying to achieve it.

I am convinced that we all experience the highs and lows of life.  The lows are valleys where we rest beside still waters, cry out to God and wait on Him to answer. The valley can be quiet and we experience doubt. The highs can be so high that the ride called life feels like it will never end and the pleasure seem like they will be forever more (our youth, right?).  It is most definitely a ride on the way up and coming down. During the ride, we must hold on to God's word and know without a doubt the light will pierce through the dark as we "go through" these times.

I call my God:

Jehovah Rohi - my Shepard - who leads me and guides.
Jehovah Nissi - my banner - when the enemy comes in like a flood (with words of doubt), He raises a standard or banner to shield me.
Jehovah Shalom - my peace - He gives me peace that surpasses all understanding.

What do you call our God, Our Savior, or Lord?

(Hebrews 13:20-21) 20 Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, 21 equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.